Hello designers! I'm Ollie Campbell, co-founder & CEO at Milanote, the notes app for creative work.
Milanote is based on the idea that behind every great piece of work is a lot of research, thinking and planning that is often messy, unstructured and takes time to evolve. We've really tried to reproduce the feeling of working on a wall in a creative studio.
The support for Milanote from the DN community has been awesome—all the way from when we were in beta right up to our public launch 5 weeks ago. That's why I'm back to chat about design, startups and anything else :)
Some things you could ask me about:
- What we're building at the moment, how we decide what to build next, and where we see the product going
- Our process for designing and building Milanote (and why we spend 4 hours a day sitting in silence)
Starting a startup
- How we got from a brand new team to #1 on Product Hunt in 11 months
- What it's like making the transition from a designer to a startup CEO
- How we turned our design agency into a product company
- Ever wanted to start your own agency? I can tell you what it's like to quit your job and start one with 3 friends in your living room (when your wife happens to be 8 months pregnant)
- Interested in UX teams in big agencies? In a past life I recruited and managed one at Melbourne's biggest agency (before I was escorted form the building—funny story!)
- Trying to decide between joining an agency or a startup? I've worked (and hired people) at both!
- If you're feeling masochistic, I can also share my thoughts on whether designers should learn how to code (as a designer with a computer science degree ;).
Please note: I'm in Australia, so I might take a while to answer depending on your timezone!